Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Aina Mania

All of us here at Something Vexes really like the band Aina. That would be the indie/punk/whatever-rock supergroup from Barcelona, not the metal opera collective. Although they are often lumped together by sources such as allmusic.com, they really couldn't be more easily distinguishable.

Anyhoo, after I found a nifty collection of videos from a recent Aina reunion show on YouTube, I decided to take another look at their listing on allmusic. After breezing past the aforementioned 20-member metal opera collective, I found a review of our Aina's 2001 album Bipartite. A dude named Kurt Morris wrote the 3-star (out of 5) review, and he really heaped on the lukewarm praise. He basically said that the sound is too strongly rooted in Burning Airlines and Jawbox to be taken very seriously on its own. Leaving aside the fact that I probably would have rated it a solid 5 stars, this is the part that bothered me the most:

Supposedly Aina puts on a rocking good live show and that may be part of the reason for this otherwise unspectacular disc being released.

Do what now? I guess if it were a live album, this would make sense. "You know, these guys have several records out already, and they have a loyal following. And, boy, do they rock the shit live. You know what? Let's get them back in the studio. Quick."

1 comment:

byronimation said...

Most of the rock shows I go to I make sure the band has a CD. That is the onyl way I can take them seriously.

"So you guys are playing? And where is your CD? ...I see."